Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

A failed pie

My boyfriend's favourite pie is cherry. While waiting for an optometrist's appointment one day, I picked up a can of cherry pie filling at the local convenience store. Because I can't stand store bought pie crusts for some reason, I made my own. Making a one-crust pie is simple. If you mess up the bottom crust, you can always moosh it around in the pie pan to cover up any rips, and if it looks kind of wonky, no one's going to see it anyway. Two-crust pies are a different matter.

It only seemed appropriate that this pie should be a two-cruster, since the recipe I have makes enough for two crusts, and I only had enough filling for one pie... And a cherry pie wouldn't work very well as an open-crust pie anyway. Everything was fine for the bottom crust, but when I tried to put the top crust on, it tore in a couple of places, and try as I might, I just couldn't pinch the rips back together without more filling spewing out on top of the crust. I might not have put enough margarine (or maybe I should have used butter), and maybe whole wheat flour wasn't the best idea ever. Anyway, the poor pie ended up looking like this:



Here's a close-up of that ugly tear:



It still tasted pretty good though, even if it wasn't the prettiest thing to look at.

3 comments: