Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Friday, March 27, 2009

New yarn! (or "Why I should get help")

I went to my favourite LYS, Romni Wools, to return the extra ball I had from my Cherie Amour sweater. Since Romni has a whompin' 2 floors and six thousand(!!!) square feet of yarn, I always wander around the store a fair bit. I checked out the sock yarn, and pestered one of the women who works there with my myriad of sock questions. She suggested I use the heavier yarn for the sole of the sock or for the ribbing, and the lighter yarn for the rest of it. Thanks yarn lady! I also picked up some Cascade Fixation in color 3688 (blue-purple), which I've been meaning to try out for quite some time because I have some project ideas.

While exploring the bargain basement (which is actually in the basement), I couldn't help but pick out a few choice skeins: Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora in bright purple (which has since been discontinued), some Romni Wools bamboo yarn in a coppery brown, and my favourite, Strumpfwolle sock yarn by Altenburger Handarbeiten...



The picture really doesn't do it justice. And it was such a great price! Usually, something like that would go for $10-11, but I got it for $6. Whee! My new sock plan is to make some basic socks out of that Patons stuff, just to get a feel for sock construction, and then make those Monkey socks with the Strumpfwolle. They'll be soooo pretty!

2 comments: