Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Sometimes I just want to knit yards of stockinette...

After the labour of love that was my beautifully cabled sweater, I wanted to knit another sweater, but I wasn't up to knitting anything incredibly impressive. I wanted something easy that would just fly off the needles with minimal finishing. What I ended up with was this:



The pattern is the Buttony Sweater by Katie Marcus, and it certainly fit the bill for simple, mindless knitting with minimal finishing, being a top-down raglan and all. It took me less than a month to knit, which is really fast for me. The main reason I picked it was because I found all these green buttons in my big bag of buttons that I got from Zellers, and I wanted to use them all in the same project. I picked a yarn, Knit Picks Swish Bulky in the Tidepool Heather colourway, to match the buttons and I bought as much as was recommended on the pattern's Ravelry page.

As you can see from the picture, I ran out of yarn before I could finish the sleeves. In fact, because I didn't feel like knitting back, I did the ribbing in some left-over Marble Chunky. I was a little disappointed by that, but I got over it. It's super comfy and warm. To make sure my arms don't get cold, I wear it with either my belladonna sleeves or the arm-warmers that go with my icelandic non-turtle-neck.

I followed the pattern pretty closely and didn't bother with waist shaping. The sleeves I knit two at a time, using the magic loop technique with a really long cable, which ensured that they would be the same length. I'm not entirely happy with how the button band looks, but I don't care enough to go back and change it. I really like the construction of the top-down raglan, and I'll definitely make another. I'm eyeing the Painted Lady pattern off the Anticraft website.

In other news, the X-mas knitting has begun! Therefore, I won't be posting much about things I'm working on now until after the big day, but fortunately, I have enough of a backlog of stuff I've been meaning to blog about, that I should be able to hold out until then. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment